The Eastern Shore Garden Club is a member of the Nova
Scotia Association of Garden Clubs. We started as a
small group of gardening friends in 1999.
Membership usually ranges from 20-50 keen gardeners.
In 2008 we were 40 strong. Our members are
principally from the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia,
from Lake Charlotte to Lake Echo.
Our purpose, as stated in the Constitution, is:
1. To share an interest in gardening.
2. The club shall promote the improvement of home
grounds, lawns, tress, shrubbery, flower and
3. The club may assist in the beautification of
community grounds, local parks, public buildings and
4. The club shall promote beautification through
tours, books, publications and information meetings.
One of our main events and fund-raisers is the
popular plant sale that is held at the end of May. Of
late, we've had over 1200 annuals, perennials,
shrubs, and kitchen garden plants for sale at very
Annual membership is from January 1st to December 31st. The dues remain at $10 per person per year. This covers the cost of the member's NSAGC membership, monthly meetings, and honorariums for guest speakers, supplemented with the net proceeds from the annual plant sale.
Associate members are named members in the same household as a member. They do not pay dues, nor do they have their own NSAGC membership. Most other membership benefits apply.
We have two Charter Members: Ina Beaver and Bonita Carpenter.
Joining the Club
Guests and visitors are always welcome to attend the meetings. We do, naturally, encourage them to consider joining the club.
Membership benefits include:
1. NSAGC membership, newsletters, and Membership Card, which entitles the bearer to discounts on purchases made at participating garden centres and nurseries in Nova Scotia;
2. the opportunity to participate in plant and seed exchanges, and workshops;
3. purchasing gardening materials at discounted prices as a result of bulk purchases made by the club;
4. tapping the braintrust of local gardeners;
5. receiving a free plant from NSAGC if membership is paid by February 28; and
6. meeting fellow gardeners.
To join, see the Membership Liaison at the Reception Desk during a meeting. Complete and return the registration form to the Membership Liaison, and submit your dues to the Treasurer. Your name will be added to the membership register and you will receive an NSAGC membership card from the President.