The Liberal Party of Canada will increase carbon emissionsDear Minister McKenna,
Thank you for your 24 November 2011 correspondence. Your opening statement"Children born today aren't responsible for climate change."briefly reassured me that the Liberal Government of Canada might have some concept of cause and effect.
I was also heartened to hear, on CBC Radio, that you and Justin Trudeau, as well as all the Premiers, invited scientists to advise you at your meeting. Being a scientist myself, I wondered what advise they gave you?
Thus far, the policies of the Governments of Canada seem to be to increase population, increase consumption (GDP), tax carbon and invest in green technologies. Did those scientists explain to you that:
Here are some scientific truths that I predict that your carefully selected scientists didn't tell you:
- All technologies come with an environmental cost. Did they remind you how the Hoover Dam obliterated entire ecosystems in both USA and Mexico?
- There isn't always an alternative for fossil fuel. Without hydrocarbons, we will have to do without much that we presently take for granted.
- The laws of nature decide what can be done, not the wishes of politicians.
- Investment will not result in a return if the Governments of Canada continue to ignore the above fact.
Of course they didn't tell you such things. Any scientist who said such things would simply not be invited to your policy pantomime. After all, such inconvenient facts make a mockery of the following Liberal Party policies:
- The biggest single driver of CO2 emissions is human overpopulation. Population has increased almost ten-fold since the dawn of the fossil-fuel era. That's 10 times as much emissions. Not to mention all the natural sinks of atmospheric carbon have been destroyed in order to accommodate all those extra people.
- Latitude is the biggest single determinant of the intensity of CO2 emissions. Canadians really do need to burn something to keep warm in winter. Look, there are two places that the sun doesn't shine; One of them is a Canadian winter!
- The huge modern population was created --- and is sustained --- by the conversion of fossil energy into human biomass.
Minister McKenna, you say to me:
- To grow the population of Canada by taxing responsible Canadians in order to subsidize those over-breeders (like Justin Trudeau) who seem intent on making an already overpopulated planet even more crowded.
- To grow the economy by spending more money. Obviously, on a full planet it's a zero-sum game so beneficial growth is not possible. The short term effect will be more consumption and therefore more carbon emissions. The long term result will be debt and destruction."It's not just the federal government and provinces and territories that must rally together before we all head to Paris. It is all Canadians."Minister, I have already done my part to protect the environment and enable a higher quality of life for future generations. My wife and I have limited ourselves to one child. (Many responsible Canadians have made the same choice.)
Unfortunately our effort has not only gone unappreciated, it has been subverted by all political parties. So, Minister McKenna, when you ask:Please add your name to stand with the Prime Minister and Premiers heading to COP21 -- and tell them you're ready to do your part to fight climate change.I reply:If I were to agree with you, we'd both be wrong!