People are wondering where they can find the results of the survey on "Fiscal Sustainability". As you are aware, I found it impossible to express my own thoughts on the subject of "Fiscal Sustainability" within the constraints of your web-based survey form.
Perhaps, the Fiscal Sustainability Task Force has become as frustrated as the rest of us?
Since the report is not out, and most of your meetings have either been deferred or cancelled, I thought I might take the opportunity to directly address some of the points found in section 2.0 of your terms of reference.
Good luck to us all,
- 2.1 "Review the Town's current financial state including relevant bylaws, policies, and guiding documents."
- 2.2 "Identifying long-term issues and trends which will impact the Town's fiscal
- The biggest problem has been the excessive increase in taxation to feed a bloated bureaucracy.
- This trend correlates with the tenure of Mayor Stead.
- The solution should be clear...
- 2.3 "Determine the Town's infrastructure deficit"
- 2.4 "Collecting relevant fiscal data related to financial benchmarks and performance indicators"
- Financial benchmarks? Performance indicators? Sounds handy and dandy --- but I suspect the average taxpayer would prefer to see some evidence of critical thought BEFORE money is committed+wasted by His Munificence.
- The fact of the matter is that budgeting in Wolfville is all about Sheriff Stead shooting from the hip.
- Accountability comes too late. Before charging ahead on the next mad-cap scheme, critical questions need to be asked and they must be addressed.
- 2.5 "Reviewing the Town's current service levels"
- We have a zillion bureaucrats bossing us around but none of them has a clue what to do.
- This town is over-serviced with respect to quantity and under-serviced with respect to quality.
- 2.6 "Reviewing possible alternative service delivery method"
- All we needed was ONE competent civil engineer and the fiasco of Sherwood would never have happened!
- Fire the horde of bureaucratic bums and hire a couple of competent people.
- 2.7 "Seek citizen, business, and staff input on taxation and service levels"
- Taxes are much too high.
- In Wolfville, "service" is just an euphemism for clubbing people with freedom-sapping bylaws.
- I'd be pleased not to be "serviced" according to the proclivities of the present Mayor.
- 2.8 "Preparing a report to Council with recommendations on a Multi Year Fiscal
Strategy and action that should be taken to ensure the Town's fiscal sustainability"
Here's a two-line report for you:
- It's time for serious efficiency dividends from Council to the Taxpayers.
- Stand up to all the deadbeats that burden us with unwelcome "services".