Hillsborough Railroad operated between 1984 and 1996 as a tourist
railway carrying passengers and operating dinner trains between
Hillsborough, Salem & Baltimore, New Brunswick.
locomotives operated on the Salem & Hillsborough Railroad. Ex
S&L 42, ex CPR 29 and ex CN 1009.
Sydney & Louisbourg 42 (built in 1899 by Schenectady
Locomotive Works) is operating on the Cape Breton Steam Railway in
June 1973. It came to the Salem &
Hillsborough Railroad under steam on 13 November 1983. After a couple
of years operating on the S&H it needed boiler and firebox
repairs. The photo below shows it in the S&H workshops on 7
September 1987. It is now stored at the Museum of Industry in
came to the S&H on flat cars on 13 November 1983.
Both were put into operating condition but 1009 was the more powerful
locomotive and did the majority of train haulage by steam
locomotives. Click here for an
MP3 sound clip of 1009 made on the footplate
as the train left Salem station on 8 October 1989.
Here 1009 with the first class coach approaches Hillsborough up a 1.5%
on 21 May 1988.
was last steamed in August 1998 for use in the movie Paradise Siding.
To celebrate its 100th Anniversary CRHA(NB) has produced a video of it.
here for more information and to see a movie clip. Ex CN 1009 is now on display at the New
Brunswick Railway Museum .
29 is a 4-4-0 built by the CPR in Montreal in 1887. 29 along with 136
& 144 ended their careers on the CP Norton - Chipman branch in
Brunswick. They were used on this branch because
were not strong enough to support heavier diesel locomotives. 29 made a
final farewell steam run on the CPR in 1960. She is
seen below at Hillsborough on 7 September 1987.
Canadian Pacific 29 and the sheds were damaged in a fire on 16
September 1994. The photo
below shows the remains of 29 and diesels 208 and 209 on 24 September
CP 29 is now on static display outside the Canadian Pacific Railway
headquarters in downtown Calgary.
DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES 7941
7941 is an NW2 built in 1946 by
GM for CN. It came to
the S&H in operating condition on 13 November 1983. It was used
for several years before being retired with a cracked engine block.
The upper photo
shows 7941 at Hillsborough on 16 August 1985 and the
lower photo shows 7941 in S&H livery in the scrap line
at Moncton on 4 September 1989.
These two RS-1s
were purchased from the Devco Railway in 1984. 208 was built in 1946
and 209 in 1950 by ALCO. 208 was in operating condition and was
(it later was numbered back to 208). 209 was acquired mainly as a parts
source and never operated on the S&H.
locomotives were photographed at Hillsborough - 8208 on 7 September
1987 and 209 on 17 August 1985.
was built as a four axle RS-18 # 3847 by Montreal Locomotive Works
for Canadian National in 1959. In 1975 Canadian National retrucked it
with six wheel trucks from a scrapped RSC-13 locomotive so that it
be used on branch lines in Atlantic Canada. In 1995 CN
donated the locomotive to the Salem & Hillsborough Railroad.
photograph shows the locomotive running round its train at Salem on 8
October 1995 while the lower shows the locomotive a year later when it
had been completely repainted (Hillsborough 13 October 1996)
1754 was used
extensively on the S&H and is now at the New Brunswick Railway
was acquired from CN in 1989 in exchange for 7941.
is an S12 built in 1958
by Montreal Locomotive Works for Canadian National. Only 11 were built;
all for Canadian National. The S12 was a Canadian version of the Alco
before repainting is seen with 208 (now renumbered) at
Hillsborough on 4 September 1989.
8245 after repainting is seen here at Hillsborough, New Brunswick with
the dinner train
on 5 September 1993. She was used extensively on the S&H and is
now at the New Brunswick